Wednesday, February 2, 2011

One month

It has been one month since we lost Sam on January 2nd, 2010. I felt that today would be a hard day, and parts of it were. In the past few days, I have noticed that while I am teaching, my mind goes in so many different directions that I don't have a chance to think about him, but as soon as I have a moment to relax, that's where my mind goes. That's ok, except that those moments hit pretty hard. When I was home and free to think about Sam throughout the day and express my emotions, it was easier to deal with.

Today, there were moments where I had a pain in my chest from the hurt of today being the 2nd. It is not like that every day, and I realize today is just another day, but it in a way, it is extra special. I wrote about Sundays being significant because we lost Sam on a Sunday, but today is more of a milestone. It marks that we have survived our first month.

I can't believe it has ONLY been a month. It feels like a year. Since we last kissed those sweet cheeks, we have cried, laughed, made cremation arrangements, planned a Celebration of Life, printed every picture we have of him in multiple ways, celebrated his life with friends and family, traveled to Kentucky, returned to church, received delicious meals from co-workers, watched movies, played in the snow, talked by the fire, gone on a hunting trip (Ryan), traveled to Nashville (Keenon), visited with friends, and gone back to work. Even though it feels like such a long time and we have done a lot since then, the memories are still very fresh. That's one nice thing about still being so close to the event. So to end this post, here's a sweet memory of Sam:


4 comments:

Mindy said...

love you guys so much. the memories are so fresh but it seems so long ago.

Linda Hulton said...

Keith and I talked about it being one month at dinner last night. He said it felt like it was longer. I said it felt like yesterday. Still walking with you on this journey.

Sarah Whitney said...

I love this picture! Still thinking and praying for you all. I love you!

Anonymous said...

I still cherish every day I have with our grandkids because of what you have been through. Thank you for YOUR encouragement and precious view of life. It is making a difference in so many lives!